On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Chicks' new trick

It's pretty comical to walk into the bathroom these days and see chickens roosting on the edge of the tub! It's their latest trick. They don't jump out, they just jump up and roost like the big kids.

We now something of a daily ritual. Every morning, as soon as it warm enough, I take the chickens out to their baby coop. Every evening, as the air begins to chill and the chicks start to huddle, I bring them back in to bask under the heat lamp.

I need to build the run on the larger coop. I figure I still have about three weeks, maybe less, before the chickens can stay outdoors all night long without any extra heat needed. But our weather has been so unique this year that I'll have to play it by ear...

The chickens are growing so incredibly fast! I had heard to expect rapid growth in size, but I had no idea they would fill out this soon. They eat and eat, and when I hold them, I can feel the extra heft. They're getting easier to catch too, either because they aren't as frightened or because they just can't gain flight speed the way they used to.

I returned to my watercolor class this afternoon. I was away for about a year or more. I took other art classes during that time, but I'm not signed up for anything now (well, online I am) so I went back to be with friends in the community.

And what did I want to paint? My own Chicken Little!

7 comments:

  1. Your Chicken Little is lovely and your chicks are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great chicken little! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little chick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Everyone. The chicks are growing very quickly. They stay outdoors for about 12 hours a day now, but need some head feathers before they can stay out all night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one cute chick painting! I'm following your chicken adventure. I remember the sound of chirps and the constant foraging from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, John. This is a whole new venture for me and Steve!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails