On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

The chickens are coming!

I've wanted to raise chickens for almost two years, ever since our community changed the ordinance against raising farm animals in back yards. Chickens are now totally legal, as long as there is no rooster to disturb the neighbors. There is a flock size limit, but I'm not sure what it is - many more than I'll ever have, that's for sure.

A large chicken coop has been constructed for me, but it's been stuck in Napa for over a year and I can't wait any longer. Today I bought a little "starter coop" to tide me over until the big one arrives. It will come in handy later as a segregation unit if anyone gets sick or needs to be quarantined before being introduced to the flock. It can also be used as a rabbit hutch if I ever go that direction again.

I can see the coop from the kitchen window so can always keep an eye on things. What's missing in the photo is the stairway from the broody nest to the ground, but I'll install it in due time. There is a wire net over everything so I believe I've made the coop cat, dog and hawk-proof. It will be easy to clean (door on the outside, lift up the fencing that makes the run to rake the ground).

We will never eat the chickens, it's only the eggs that I want. So... where are the chickens? We may get them tomorrow, but definitely soon.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a nice set-up, Barbara! How many chickens are you ultimately considering? We've often pondered setting up a chicken coop ourselves, like you, for the eggs alone. Unlike you, it's still in the realm of fantasy for us. Bravo to you for making it a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rebecca. We have the chicks now and are having a great time! They are living in the bathtub under a heat lamp.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails