On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Church characters


I've been practicing my head drawings when people are relatively stationary, as in church. I haven't broken the code yet as to how to make people look realistic, but I've wanted to be able to add them in to my daily wanderings for some time.

Here in northern California, after several sunny days, we're back into a period of winter rain. We're promised mist, showers and rain all week, including Easter Day. Fortunately, that suits me just fine as rain is a real favorite of mine.

Today was steeped in domesticity as I coached Youngest Daughter in the skills of baking a chocolate cake from her new cook book. It turned out perfectly - moist, flavorful and with no need of frosting, just a sprinkling of powdered sugar over the top. I haven't baked a cake in a long time so this was a treat.

We also planted bell pepper seeds indoors in preparation for a summer garden. We're a little late but it should work. Ideally we'll have enough plants to begin our Square Foot Garden again this year. There's a lot to do right now, but it has to stop raining first.

5 comments:

  1. I love your church characters! Each one has his own personality and look. Very nice! Also, I enjoyed all your photos - they're beautiful! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That´s a cute way of art journaling, I specially love them from behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I'd say hello on your blog (instead of mine) for a change, Barbara! And I always love seeing your church sketches; I think they're fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, all of you! I guess I should continue on with the "head shots" since they've been received more favorably than I anticipated.

    Welcome to my world, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails