On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Catch 'em in the act

I spent this morning being oriented to a volunteer project as a park monitor in the county park walking distance from our home. After I pass the background check I will simply take my dogs for walks in Maxwell Park, a 44-acre area, take photos and document what I observe -- other dog walkers, joggers, wildlife, fallen branches, anything blocking the creek, homeless encampments, gang taggings, wildflowers, garbage and anything else for good or ill. I'm looking forward to this new venture, for no other reason then that it will get me out walking more often in beautiful surroundings.

This evening I made 18 very simple Artist Trading Cards to give to the girls at Juvenile Hall when I catch them in the act of being good during their group therapy sessions. While some of the girls are really intelligent and motivated to make changes in themselves, many are a bit behind in both intellectual and emotional development and are disruptive to the well-being of the group, making therapy impossible.

But they like to be given things. I am not allowed to reward them with candy so I'm always looking for other acceptable tokens to encourage the girls to maintain self-control so that the group may proceed. Stickers aren't allowed because staff finds them on the walls, nothing metal or sharp - so little incentive toys are all forbidden, especially those made of plastic which can be turned into sharp objects. It gets complicated! So I'll try ATCs this week. If the girls seem to like them I'll make more and maybe even better ones.


















2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! I hope it helps. I like the ones with encouraging words the best but wonder which ones the girls will like best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed with your creative thinking here. What a WONDERFUL idea!

    Let us know how this worked out.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails