On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Making the best of it

Okay, so I got the official word that my hours at Juvenile Hall will be reduced from 13 hours a week to only two. But it isn't as bad as it sounds. I was only being paid for six hours and volunteering for seven.

Losing my job with the art instructor -- who never lost an opportunity to treat me badly -- gives me lots more time. I will keep the girls' therapy group and I will volunteer for my own arts and crafts class at the Hall.

The new question, is what next? I'm a believer that when one door closes another opens so I'm deciding where to knock. I will have eleven more hours each week to call my own, that's HUGE!

I can continue to draw, to learn to draw, and I can focus more on local history because I just completed training to become a California State Parks docent. I want to continue my studies of the Spanish language since I have opportunities almost daily to use it. I may take a writing class. I am likely to construct classes of my own to teach through our community adult school where I have taught before. I definitely want to read more, walk more, go on more camping trips with my daughter and I bet, if I sit and think about it for a moment or two, I can lengthen the list even more. This story will turn out well.

4 comments:

  1. You rock!! I love the bird - they're not easy to do! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bird! Have fun imagining how you'll fill that time, then make it the best ever! No one needs negative people in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting! It sounds like you have quite a few fun adventures ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bird turned out great! Hmm, did you ever consider offering a spanish speaking journaling class? How about a little time to relax? I can't believe how much you do. It's a shame the kids don't get to have you around as much. I think you were good for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails