On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, December 18, 2009

Tall, dark and handsome

During the past summer I sketched a few of the kids at Juvenile Hall. They loved the attention and I needed the practice.

There came a day when boys from one housing unit were recognizing the drawings of boys from another unit and that's when I had to stop immediately lest I get hauled in on a confidentiality charge.

It was a mixed blessing -- I was thrilled to have shown improvement -- but it also meant that I no longer had an endless supply of such willing subjects.

Today's giraffe was from a photo reference. Breaching confidentiality was not a concern. The boys were working on an assignment on negative space. With so much sky there is lots and lots of negative space in this one. So I figured I was being an appropriate role model and working on my own skills at the same time.

By the time I finished the giraffe I was totally in love and wanted to marry him. He's just such a gorgeous animal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails