On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Whining for no reason

I'm unhappy in my new drawing class and yet I recognize the instructor as excellent and gentle with beginners. He's definitely doing everything right.

It's me. I hate big paper. I loathe vine charcoal. I feel hampered with contour drawing on big paper and vine charcoal!




Each week we have two class sessions. Each Tuesday we are to hand in five homework drawings. I am so frustrated! If I could just use pencil and ink and smaller paper, maybe 9x12, I could be proud of my work.

The good news is that every lesson involves new skills. Life will be so much better when we're allowed to show volume and texture. What I'm really going to learn this semester is ... patience.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:16 AM

    Well, on the one hand I sympathise with you - I like to draw small too!!
    On the other hand, I envy you because you are under pressure to draw big and I am sure you will find, eventually, that you are glad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience IS a good lesson, girl. Marancat may be right, too...it is good to be pushed outside our comfort zone and realize we CAN do things we didn't think we could, or wanted to. Maybe you can find time to do some work at home that you do like...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my full sympathy and support! Big paper is hard for me, too, altho I used to use it all the time. But, what a great opportunity ... forced to do something hard (and maybe a tad scary?) and learning some wonderful new skills. You'll soon be so happy about this! nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails