On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The last Sunday before school starts


My new figure drawing course begins in just two days so the summer break is officially over and the new academic year is about to begin.

I'm ready. A month ago I didn't think I had the energy to take a class this year but now I'm up and moving, in a can't-wait-to-meet-the-new-teacher mode. I hope I learn to draw some day!




Maybe I'm curious or just plain nosey, but I like to peek into other people's churches. This morning I drew Demi at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Napa, California and also took a snapshot before the service began.

I'm not an official member of St. Mary's - I haven't transferred to anywhere since Steve retired - but we bounce around and seem to end up at St. Mary's the most often.

It's a lovely parish and the congregation has been most welcoming. They adore Demi, which goes a long way for me.

Parishioners are impressed no end that Demi routinely trots up to the communion rail, sits, waits for a blessing and then follows me out -- all with no leash! She doesn't need one, she's a retired service dog and knows her skills.

The rest of the service she contemplates whatever spiritually inclined dogs in retirement are inclined to contemplate and no one even knows she's there.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you going back for a drawing class! You already have wonderful skills to build on. Demi is a doll - and sooo well-behaved! nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails