On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Slow lane redux

I wish I at least had the sense to say I'm bored, but I'm not!

I received this postcard from a friend. Later I attended an open house at a veterinarian hospital and took the tour through all the special rooms (where our own pets are cared for when needed).

In the late afternoon I watered my veggie garden and counted and recounted all the little tomatoes just beginning to form as well as the baby corn (too many tomatoes to count, but 15 corn buried in their stalks.)

I also managed a severe case of highway hypnosis. I left 20 minutes early to pick up my daughter from a softball field, 10 minutes away. I grabbed a book so I could read while I waited. Twenty-five minutes later she called me, I told her I was on my way, and realized I was on automatic and had driven almost the entire distance to Juvenile Hall instead, about twelve miles in the wrong direction! A senior moment (probably), chemo-brain (probably), the inattentive form of Attention Deficit Disorder (definitely) or incipient Alzheimer's (I hope not).

I'm settling for highway hypnosis. I was thinking about my daughter, deep in a fantasy of activities she might enjoy (she's disabled so I'm always considering her needs), and was lost in thought and totally lost my way as well. So... I arrived at the field 15 minutes late. Fortunately, staff was meeting and I wasn't holding anyone up, just embarrassing myself .... again. I do it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails