On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, July 24, 2009

The big, huge world

My neurological train wreck, Parisse, is a four-year old labrador retriever who is afraid of everything. I feel so sorry for her. I took her to a meeting today and I admit, she did get in the car quickly and only hyperventilated part of the way. (I'm in a car, leaving home, scary, scary, panic!)

Later I stopped off at the dog park and she was terrified beyond the beyond. No sooner had she entered the gate when a chihuahua approached. Parisse flattened her body to the earth in total submission. This grounding behavior was repeated each time another dog approached, no matter how small. (Don't hurt me, I'll obey, stay away, don't come any closer!)

She retreated to the closest corner of the park and hunkered down and watched, and watched and watched. She was drooling profusely, a sure sign of stress. When another dog approached and lunged, Parisse squealed in terror. I took her home. (Home, I wanna go home to Brix and Demi, where it's safe.) Her world is so tiny and so frightening.

In the meantime, my own world got larger as Postcrossers sent me cards. This one arrived this afternoon from China.



And this one, closer to home, came from Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. I mean, if you've never been there, it might as well be across five oceans. The Wright brothers wouldn't have understood Parisse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails