On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Camels in the Hall

Each housing unit at Juvenile Hall has its own flavor. There are kids who probably will never return, kids who have embraced their outlaw status and kids who just need a helping hand. Only the girls' unit is mixed - some in each category - because there are so few of them and they are all in one place.

Today I was sitting with a couple of nice kids and drew more camels. We chatted about how they hope to be successful in their required programs and what they hope the judge will say on their next court dates.



The boys, on the other hand, weren't very motivated to work today. The unit we were working on is notorious for bad attitudes and less interest in making life changes. Most of the staff dread working there and I can understand why. I was sitting at a table with three gangsters who clearly want to maintain their lifestyle. How sad!

While they were discussing their exploits I drew a bug and a Zentangle and tried not to rise to the bait.



The two groups tomorrow, although in maximum confinement, are usually the easiest to work with. They are tired of confinement and regimentation!

1 comment:

  1. I like your zentangles and designs you do. Really clever. Your work with the needy kids is inspiring. God bless you for your kind heart towards them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails