On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Taking in this day

I have obviously been watching too much television, especially too many news programs. Not to ding CNN or CNBC or ABC or anyone else, but all the items about the economy is starting to freak me out. Every day another bunch of thousands of jobs were lost and the stock market tanked a little more. Ouch!

I am so glad I have my art class even if it's only Drawing I. It makes a wonderful distraction when the scaries start to overtake me. Today I was looking around the room and decide to warm up by taking a few minutes drawing people. I've never been able to keep a proper sketch journal because I can't put humans into the pictures. It really limits my ability to depict what's going on around me - so I'm working on that.


Later I took a few moments to study, to really look at, a stem from a plum tree. I've never kept a nature journal or a field journal either so this was an opportunity to "branch out" (forgive the pun) a bit in that direction.

I didn't actually develop a sense of awe and wonder about the natural world until my life was so threatened by cancer that I thought I only had months to look at the planet where I was living. And once I started looking it was impossible to stop noticing details and features and aspects of everything in front of me. And that's a habit I hope to maintain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails