On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Just add color

I'm a couple days behind on my drawing but for a good reason - our grandson is staying overnight! He's been using my art supplies, playing cards with us and helping to bake chocolate chip cookies.


This is the same flowering quince that I took to class on Thursday, the one Demi carried in her mouth. It was so hard working with only pencils when the stem itself was full of colorful blossoms - so this afternoon I remedied the problem by working on it here at home.

It's been raining for about 15 hours with no end in sight. We're almost at the 50% mark for the year which ends on June 30, but the rainy season ends long before that. Water rationing is still anticipated for the rest of the spring and all of the summer.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Barbara! This is just lovely..and certainly qualifies as "art".....;) I love looking at your blog...and it's funny, I just finished reading "When Wanterer's Cease to Roam" by Vivian Swift....and SHE has a 'wild' QUINCE tree in her journal.....I never really knew what quince was 'til now...and I've wondered a long time as "The Owl and the Pussy Cat has been my favorite book since early childhood! Does your quince tree have fruit??......deni....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quince. Keep on journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Barbara...the quince are in bloom all over Ukiah this week. Such a startingly beautiful color in the cold rain that we need. Lovely rendition. I think I'll go pick a branch myself....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:52 AM

    What a lovely picture - you must be so pleased with your progress over the past weeks. Are you going to frame this one and hang it on your wall?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:38 AM

    Beautiful - I love the composition, and the colours are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:43 AM

    beautiful! the color certainly completes it. and i like the little discontinuity where the stem hits the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this one with color! I don't know if I could contain myself if someone told me I couldn't use color (even if just temporary for your class)...no no I couldn't do it. Great job on both drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your kind comments.

    "Anonymous" I hope you are recovering from your injury.

    Virginia - we are only about 90 minutes away so have similar microclimates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is delightful.
    Love the way the title runs up the curve of the vase.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails