On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Adding color

A weak sun was out almost all day today and no rain is forecasted until the weekend. I, of course, am of mixed mind - I love the rain, we need the rain, but it was great to see the sun!

At the end of yesterday's class I redrew the same camelia stem that I began with. The first one was drawn in charcoal. This one was colored with watercolor pencil. I added a layer of color this evening. If you look closely you can see the fragile little bud in the base of the upper left leaf.

I've been drawing Zentangles again and am noticing many gorgeous examples on other art blogs. I've been showing the girls in Juvenile Hall how to draw them -- with the kids it is to add to their self-soothing skills, finding new ways to relax and gain some equilibrium. Most find that their stress level comes down when they take 15 minutes to draw one.

3 comments:

  1. Your camelia is beautiful. I really love how you've made it into a journal page. I'm struggling with my own sketch journal - too afraid to do anything in it - even though I remind myself that it's purely personal and no one needs to see it. Thank you for sharing this - I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors and the shadows on this journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Kimmie - Just commit to a page a week or daily or whatever works for your schedule -- and then do it without thinking about it. It's all about practice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails