On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Preparing for the moment

Our family is a bit at odds after Younger Daughter's surgery on Friday. She's doing well, but we've been checking on her during the night and she's needed extra help moving around. So we're all tired, sleeping at odd hours and generally off kilter. But it's a holiday weekend and nobody has to get anywhere or do anything so it's all okay.

I finished reading a wonderful book by Anna Quindlen, one of my favorite authors. It's the quintessential New York novel, taking in so many emotional details of the people who live there. I lived in NYC in the '60s, eons ago, and a lot of the experience was lost on me, but some came back by reading RISE AND SHINE. It's a novel of relationships and atmosphere with enough twists and changes to keep the pages turning.




I also sat around a lot watching the festivities and preparations leading up to Tuesday's inauguration. While I was vegging in front of the telly I sketched this pigeon from a photo reference.  As you can probably tell, birds of all kinds have become one of my most favorite subjects to draw. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:19 AM

    Is that done with watercolour pencils??? If so then I'm impressed!! I've never managed to make them behave. Lovely drawing.

    You sound like you're having a very tiring time at the moment - do try to take care of yourself while you're running around taking care of your daughter. Hope things get easier soon.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel -- Thanks for looking. Yes, I almost always use watercolor pencils. I usually apply the color, then go over it with a waterbrush or wet brush. Then I take a little bit of color from the tip of the pencil to add more intense color where it's needed. I know if that's a good technique or not, but that's what I've been doing. I use good watercolor paper too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails