On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, January 16, 2009

Other people's pain


I'm fine, but my daughter had surgery today so she's hurting mightily but back home.

I could have spent hours and hours drawing and sketching but we got up at 4:00 a.m. to get her to the hospital on time so I did all I could manage -- a guy in the waiting room (who sort of looks like I drew him) and a patient (who doesn't at all look like my sketch). Daughter is fine. I'm exhausted.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:28 AM

    Wow - utmost credit to you for drawing while you were there. When I was waiting around for my other half in hospitals just before Christmas I just couldn't make myself focus on it, so very very well done! I like your sketches very much, you've caught that atmosphere really well, you know, the sort of feeling where everyone there is wrapped up in their own thoughts and very inward facing.

    Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:57 AM

    Sending thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter and all those who love you. I drew a lot while our Debbie was undergoing treatment for Ewing Sarcoma. Did mostly shaded scribble drawings... you know, 1st close your eyes, scribble on a page, then shade the shapes to make something fun. You can't make a mistake, you learn about shading shapes, and everyone has a different opinion of what they see inside..... They helped me and made everyone else laugh, which is priceless. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sketches Barb. I hope they served to relax you during this time. Good thoughts coming to you and your daughter.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD FOR YOU, Barbara, sketching DOES help in stressful situations, and I think you did a terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara these are great waiting room sketches I love the patient even if it looks nothing like the real guy the sketch looks great! I hope your daughters recovery is going well

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails