On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, March 15, 2008

How do you paint rain??

With all the rain we had last month you'd think I could just sit down and paint it realistically from memory. Not so, I'm having difficulty learning even when I have a photo reference right in front of me. This was my submission to Cathy (Kate) Johnson's online watercolor pencil class. She helped me so much with the bridge I was working on a few weeks ago that I'm hoping she'll have fix-it ideas for this one as well.



Today was a crisp spring day with some inconsequential sprinkles here and there. I took Brix for a 25-minute walk which pleased him tremendously. Steve weighed him on the vet's doggy scale last week and I was shocked to learn that Brix is up to 83 pounds! Ohmygod! He only eats two cups of diet dog food each day so the only thing left is exercise, exercise, exercise. He ran for 90 minutes with his friends on Thursday morning, was indoors all day yesterday and got that token walk in with me today. I really, really need to work on this because, when we got Brix permanently (after he washed out as a service dog) we were told that his optimum weight was 68 pounds. Ooooooh.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going better. Some days start sort of lousy and just don't let up. Hope things remain on the upswing, and I like the colors in this rain painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. It really feels like rain. Also like that little chick in your previous post, he is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You paint rain under an umbrella! Ha Ha! How about pulling color out and having the rain appear as some white splashes? I think it would enhance the drawing. ( Some people use white pigment for rain drops.)
    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a lovely painting - looks like rain to me. I'll be interested to see what suggestions Kate makes - I sure wish I'd known about this class before it started! I'll have to sign up next time she offers it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mood you have created here. Looks very rainy to me! Alot like some of the odd weather we had yesterday in the Bay area! Also, I am enjoying your grids on previous posts. That is something I really am going to try! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice rainy day:) I know it's difficult to paint rain but you did a great job:)
    I can see...it's raining:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, all of you, for your most welcome comments. - Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails