On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Somber Saturday

Today was one of those poignant days when it was bright and sunny and gorgeous and I attended the funeral of a member of our cancer support group. She was only 65 which seems young nowadays or maybe because my plan is to stay on board until 105. The service was very nice and there was good conversation and music at the reception in her home afterwards, but it still marked the day as the end of a life lived with gusto.

I haven't drawn much this week but this evening I tried to use my watercolor pencils on this dark-eyed junco. There are many in this area but I find them hard to spot, not being much of a birder. I drew from a photograph and now I hope I'll take notice of junkos when I see them in person. So I guess that's backwards from most people who who see them and then draw, while I draw them and then see! I do know they tend to cluster on the ground and chirp mightily. They don't perch on the branches as gingerly as mine seems to, they curl their feet around and stand firmly. Next time.

3 comments:

  1. My condolences on the passing of your friend, Barbara. I hope that you find some solace in your sketches. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do I like your bird (something I have never attempted!) but your writing is beautiful as well. Condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much. - Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails