On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Life goes on...with difficulty



What do you do if something catastrophic happens to your beloved? When I chose my next two books to read I didn't realize I'd be choosing the same theme in each.

When Danny Gregory's wife Patti fell and was hit by a train, becoming paralyzed from the waist, they somehow pulled it together and raised their infant son and continued to be a family. Danny turned to drawing as a way to dig himself out of a deep, depressing hole and has become the author of two books. The first is the sketchbook memoir of those days, EVERYDAY MATTERS. And many of us have followed his lead, read his book and his blog, joined his Yahoo site and begun drawing too, with or without the nudge of depression.

When Abigail Thomas' husband Rich chased after their dog and was hit by a car he suffered massive brain injury and has been hospitalized and in special care facilities ever since. Abby visits him regularly and has developed her life with her three dogs and her writing. She wasn't always a writer. Like Gregory, she turned to the arts in the aftermath of disaster.

Both books will stick with me for a long, long time. I can't imagine going forward if something happened to my husband, but I guess that's what you do. And if embracing the arts makes it possible, so be it.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished "A Three Dog Life" It was impressive - the author's wry humor and honest assessment of her new life was very poigant. I checked it out from the library, but just ordered my own copy from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails