On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Chemotherapy or lemonade?

Oh, I get it! When life gives you lemons you make........a drawing of it! So here's my sketch in the infusion center today - an infusion pump - as observed from the side in use with the woman next to me. I'm there every 14 days, I might as well make good use of the experience, right? I'm working on making rapid sketches and drawing in public. Strangely, no one asked, Barbara, what are you drawing?

Later I tried to copy this South American youngster (from a travel ad). I wasn't happy with the way it turned out either so just chalked the day up to "showing up." I showed up, I practiced, hopefully it will show from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. I love your philosophy about drawing ("showing up"). I'm going to try really hard to remember that for myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:31 AM

    Chemo! I use to see it as the blood of Christ. I like your idea of drawing it. Whatever it takes to embrace chemo as something positive and good. It isn't easy! But you seem to have a good lead on what it takes to heal! My thoughts of healing are with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Great sketches. Great attitude, too. I love that, showing up! Keep working, you're doing fine. Drawing from magazines is hard because of the flatness of the face and colors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails