On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, August 03, 2013

You better believe it

My ankles rolled back this morning. Because I was attached to the telemeter four days and also receiving various IV fluids, I wasn't allowed to walk much and my legs filled with almost 30 extra pounds of fluids. It's unpleasant to stump around on thick log legs.

The first five pounds disappeared during the night and I expect the rest to flow off within a week - especially if I keep walking. It was a big deal to identify shapes and feel bone!

These constant hospital admissions are wearing me down - especially  the ones that involve 'round the clock heart monitoring, roommates, an alarmed bed, etc. This last four-day stint was more grueling than the 34 days I stayed there in December and January.

Today I pretended I was normal and acted accordingly. I wore jeans (that no longer fit) ate real food, read a New York Times best seller and mostly stayed out of bed.

My best moment was seeing Steve arrive to drive me home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails