On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, August 01, 2013

On the mend, hopefully

So I'm sitting here, both sleepy and bored, while I receive more blood. I think this is the 13th unit I've received since December. Staff took me off isolation status when a final test cleared me and moved in a very deaf elder.  Staff has to yell to be heard.  But the good news is that I will probably go home tomorrow. I am more than ready.

The morning was horrific. I was told to start walking, and when I did, everything fell out, that's all I can say. I was mortified beyond the beyond. Later I found out that I hadn't received Ativan and started going off the rails from the sudden withdrawal. I also was on a much higher dose of morphine and started having auditory hallucinations. I swore I heard Steve talking to a nurse about Demi, when they were still miles away. I started calming as soon as Demi arrived - I think of her as my PTSD dog - and the medication arrived too.  Steve helped me take a shower.

It will be quieter at home - if I can just get there. One of the IV lines will be removed later tonight. When I start walking I will lose several pounds of water weight and begin feeling closer to normal.  This visit has been on a different unit and more difficult for me to manage. I don't identify with inactive elders and would prefer to have much more privacy. I like to chat with the younger nurses and aides.

Hopefully, I really will be in my own bed tomorrow night - if Brix will share. He perks up when I talk to him on the phone - and I'm hoping his depression will lift if we have some time together. His eyes are woefully sad each time I have to leave him. He is much more sensitive than either Demi or Parisse and has obviously developed a close bond with me, especially.

1 comment:

  1. Crossing my fingers you get to go home. Brix will be so happy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails