On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Upward bound

I'm having a lot of trouble keeping up with my blog this week.  Folks are stopping by with treats and and cards and such, totally appreciated, but I'm asleep more than not.  I am eating three toddler meals  and gaining a little weight, but soon I need to begin to start a daily outdoor walking routine.  Steve takes them them out twice a day - about three miles - so he's slender and they are calmer (unless the doorbell rings, great alerters), but I only stroll around the house.

Last week I was still complaining about pain so was prescribed Fentanyl patches every third day.  It's 100 times stronger than morphine - dang it, I kept saying in hurt! - and now I am pain free most of the time.  I can spray morphine for break-through pain and it clicks in after about 15 minutes to carry me through.  The nurse says the pain will dissipate over time but it might take 25 years to totally disappear! Let's see, I'll be how old then???

My current project is to become more productive.  Productive means walking, writing letters, reading, needle works of all sorts (knitting, red-work embroidery, gardening when the weather warms, etc).  The birds have been all over the windows so I've been watching them throughout the day. The chickens are totally productive now that there is the light of spring - four eggs most days from four hens - so this is officially quiche time.

I didn't attend church in the morning on Sunday, but I did go to a friend's funeral in the afternoon.  I guess it's that time of life for all of of us.





2 comments:

  1. Glad they are finally getting the pain under some control. Was the nurse serious about the pain taking so long to go away?

    I am sorry you lost your friend. My daughter just went to a friend's funeral about a week ago. Her friend died of a recurrence of cancer and was only 48. She left behind 12 and 14 year old sons. It hit my daughter hard as three weeks prior the woman had been cleared to go back to work with the cancer gone and then it happened so fast no one had time to blink. So it being the time of life for us all is true. Live it while we can because it doesn't matter what age we are, we only have the now and can only hope for tomorrow (and lots of them).

    Enjoy your chickens and I hope you can get back to your walks while the spring greens and flowers are out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Barbara! I hope that the Fentanyl is doing the trick and that you're enjoying the coming of spring. I wanted to thank you today because I was having a melancholy time and then told myself to just keep doing things until I got to at least ten things--and it worked in getting me out of my doldrums. I really appreciate your sharing that technique with me; I am always going to keep it in my mental tool-box!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails