I may possibly go home tomorrow, but don't know for sure. The doctors rotate every few days and one I've never met will be here tomorrow. So it will be his opinion and decision plus my status in the morning. If it isn't tomorrow it will certainly be soon - unless I throw up and reset the clock.
The truth is, I'm ambivalent. As much as I want to go home - today is the 16th day - I'm also concerned about managing the pain when I can't just call a nurse. I'll have liquid morphine, extended release morphine, other prescriptions for break-through pain, but the pain - when it happens - is beyond horrendous and I don't want to be helpless when it strikes. Today, for example, I was only able to walk 15 minutes because the meds just weren't kicking in the way I expected. If I lie very still usually things settle down.
Either way, I know I'll be back on Friday for a previously scheduled surgical procedure - changing the kidney stent that was placed in August. I look forward to the general anesthesia for that - a pain-free hour or so.
I understand Michael Jackson more and more.