On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Taking a sick day

The last couple nights I languished on the sofa while the San Francisco Giants made World Series history.  The games were exciting, and kept me focused with at least one eye open.

Today I met with my Family Medicine Practitioner and complained about the pain, the pain, the pain.  In the end she was sure I had gone off the narcotics too quickly (I hated the side effects and when the pain became tolerable I just quit and toughed it out).  But that sent my body into shock - cold sweats, a fever, excruciating pain and a general bitchy, grouchy attitude.  I work with addicts, I never dreamed I'd ever go through withdrawal myself.  And it's clear I'll never become an addict, I don't get the euphoria, I get a weird head and more pain.

So I came home with a different kind of prescription, fell asleep immediately and woke up pain free and civil.

Chemotherapy begins again tomorrow.  This will be my fourth round.  Hair loss should be minimal - truly, that's all I care about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails