On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Getting hopeful

I finished my homework in front of the Democratic National Convention, on TV, that is.  Finally I'm hearing from people who speak my language.  Women should have a voice in their health care, what a concept!  I can't lose my health insurance because I'm living with cancer and my daughter can't lose hers because she's living with diabetes.  Thanks, Obamacare.  Supporting the auto industry instead of just letting it fail gave back an iconic resource of our country.  Thank you, Mr. President. The search and finding of Osama bin Laden, Done!  Pell grants and student loans for my grandsons - better!

If I want to blame the Obama presidency for something, I would say it's that they don't tout their successes enough.  They aren't braggarts.  They could be, because in spite of the do-nothing Congress they've still managed to get change accomplished. Those other folks, my god, it's like they're on something or dropped in from another planet.  I couldn't understand what they were talking about last week, I really, really couldn't!  And apparently the fact checkers couldn't keep up with their labors, there was so much deception.  Just that alone gives me pause.  Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to trust the leadership.

In the meantime, tomorrow's radiation schedule was cancelled for the moment.  There's another mass that needs to be evaluated first.  It hasn't progressed in over a year, but the radiation oncologist wants a PET scan to be certain that the field is large enough to manage both issues at the same time, if necessary.  There are some areas that he doesn't want to radiate and he said it's not good to radiate an area a second time.  Etc.  I was willing to trust his judgement on this one.  So, the next step is another scan and then regroup.  I may end up with the same treatment plan that was under discussion this week, but with more information it may be very different.

Oh, and I learned that the 1-1/2 mile ambulance ride after the car exploded cost $2100!  The co-pay brings it down to $100.  Now I know what I will do in my next life on earth.  I'm gonna buy me an ambulance, get an EMT certificate and drive folks back and forth between here and the closest hospital.  I missed a career opportunity, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails