On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The next stage will be .... zap, zap, zap

Sheep
Crayola crayons
On the way to class last night I stopped by JCPenney to choose a new pair of jeans.  Oh, there is a god!  I lost so much weight in August that I was clearly down one whole size.  So I bought three with the hope that I'll be down just once more by the end of the year.

Steve and I had a two hour consultation with the radiation oncologist this morning.  As expected, there will be 15 consecutive week day sessions beginning next Wednesday.  I'll be finished in September, have some recovery time (fatigue, mostly) and be good to go.  This was confirmed as a blip, annoying though it might be.  I have three new medical tats, bringing my total to nine - three here, three more here, and now three here.  Everything has to line up the same way each day.

The radiation oncologist was very kind.  He said it's patients like me that keep him humble.  I was one of their first patients when the facility opened ten years ago.  They don't see many like me, still alive and lively, walking daily, taking classes, working a bit and mostly feeling well, more concerned with my crayon skills than cancer.  I believe in delegating - the cancer is his problem, not mine, although I am cooperative enough these days to forego all sugar and eat a pristine diet with daily walking.

While I was there I had another CT scan.  Are you keeping track of all the rads I'm getting these days?  I think this was the fifth CT in 2012 alone and remember, I've been getting CTs for 10-1/2 years.  At the 20 year mark new cancers begin to develop which absolutely freaks me out because I'm more than half way there and fully intend to be alive ten years from now.  It's like my stated interest is to learn to draw, but my destiny is to be a full time cancer patient.  I know far more medical personnel than I know outside as friends, although these days the lines have blurred because some of the medical personnel have become my friends.  It just keeps happening, this cancer thing.  Dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails