On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Another good read

What a beautiful day!  I worked briefly, then plopped down to finish the last 150 pages of Game Change, by Heileman and Halperin.

I'm a news junkie and follow the political scene fairly closely and this book was a perfect match for me.  It's an investigative report of the 2008 election, beginning with the primaries all the way to two weeks post-election.  All the players are there, all sides, with behind the scenes perspectives of what we were watching in real time.  I only read page turners - with ADD it's just too hard to focus on anything dense - and this fit the bill, all 436 pages.  I've been up the last few nights trying to finish before I fell asleep and today it happened.  I've ordered the film version and look forward to watching that.

In addition to the recent history - I knew how it would end (!) - I was also fascinated by the language.  I think I have a fairly decent vocabulary, but I was stumped by a new word on every other page or so.  It was a reminder how rich the English language can be and how we tend to use the same words over and over.  Reading this book made me want to read the dictionary next...

I'm so glad to finally be reading again, it's like an entirely new discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails