On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Who ate the sun?

Tomatoes, marigolds and sunflower seeds planted May 10.
We've been watching the eclipse, sort of, but we don't have proper eye protection so we're noticing cast shadows and the strange light instead.  I went out to visit the chickens and they were in total shade which seemed unusual.  I don't think their pen is ever in total shade, but I could be wrong on that.

Tomorrow I go back to work and will re-start the boys' art group at Juvenile Hall.  I did my best to maintain the girls' therapy group - missing more than I wanted - but put the art group on hold for three months.  It will be an entirely new group and staff has told me that, because of the recent tension on that unit, they will probably only send in three kids.  They never allow more than five because the boys are often just too volatile and it is a maximum security unit - and since I equip them with a ton of contraband - pencils, pens, watercolor brushes, etc. - anything could become a weapon within a split second.  Still and all, that group is almost two years old and there haven't been any incidents ... yet ... so far ... knock on wood.  I have been in the line of fire (pepper spray) in the past so I don't take anything for granted.

2 comments:

  1. Being in the line of fire with pepper spray might be better than a bullet but not fun. I hope the group finds the joy in your class and keep things cool. Does it feel good to be going back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Timaree -- It's great to feel almost normal again. I was on the sofa so long I forgot what normal was!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails