On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, March 04, 2012

Traveling down the leash

'Tis a donkey
Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life.  I was so sick!  Chemotherapy often feels like flu - achy bones, weakness,  near fainting.  Food tastes like sour metal with a granular texture.  Depression sets in with all its weepiness.

I was scaring Youngest Daughter and felt worse about that.  She wasn't living with us ten years ago so has no strong memories of the last round of chemo.  She told me yesterday that the doctor was lying to me about getting better.  It's a difficult concept for her to understand that the side effects of chemotherapy can make me ill and miserable while I am actually getting well.

I was in bed most of the day.  Walking across the room was a challenge.  Steve kept asking me if he could get me something but nothing appealed.  Eventually I accepted Ensure, which I really like, the one food that has no taste distortion.  That makes me sound so old, but when nothing tastes right, it's great to find something!

The dogs kept me company.  Demi would jump up and cuddle next to me for a while, then Brix would take her place.  These are my four-footed security blankets for which I feel no shame.  They sense sorrow and sadness and offer solace in their own ways.  I could live alone in a cave for decades if I only had one dog.

This afternoon I graduated to the living room couch and felt like I'd really improved.  We made a pot of chicken vegetable soup for dinner. That sounds healthy, at least. The side effects of Taxotere must be cumulative because I seem to feel worse this round than I did before.  I also took an emotional hit when I learned that I'm likely to be starting a new round of Gemzar later in the month, just when I really believed I was through for the next few years ..... or at least that was the hope.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you are feeling so sick and down in the dumps. On a bright note, your donkey pic is very good. Do you feel like drawing when you are sick, or is it better to close your eyes and do nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do NOT feel like drawing when I am sick - but you loyal readers make me pull it together and do it anyway! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails