On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Sort of like a vacation

I missed a telephone message this afternoon.  I was called in for another blood test, probably so I could go back to chemotherapy tomorrow.  Guess what?  I'm not even disappointed.  After ten plus years of infusions, to have this four-week break -- and maybe by missing that call I'll stretch it out to five -- is the luxury of the ages.

I had just about forgotten what it feels like to be human and this little respite has reminded me why I go to so much effort to stay alive.  And why so many medical providers work so hard to make it possible.  I now have a primary care provider, two oncologists, a urologist, a nephrologist, a cardiologist, a nurse practitioner, two oncology pharmacists, a radiation oncologist, a dietician and about ten chemotherapy nurses. That doesn't even count the CT scanners, the phlebotomists, laboratory technicians, bone scanners and ultrasound staff.

I've probably forgotten someone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails