On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Coming out of the shadows

I've been such a recluse for the past several months that, when I joined a group for lunch this afternoon I don't know who was more surprised, them or me.  I had a great time.  It was fun to be among familiar faces and to also learn a couple new names.  I was hugged until I was squooshed!

I am really enjoying this week off of chemotherapy, can you tell?  It all begins again on Friday, but I only have two more cycles to muddle through.  I could well be in remission already, but by the time I finish those last two rounds I surely will be.  With the exception of a quarterly infusion I will be totally done with chemotherapy for the first time in 10-1/2 years.

I honestly won't know what to do with myself!

1 comment:

  1. I can see what you mean here. You've been in a routine as a cancer patient for so many years and now you will lose that way of identifying yourself in your life. You are being set free but also adrift. Kind of like the empty nest syndrome - who am I without the old parameters. Well, you are still mostly just you - an artist, mother, wife, teacher, friend, cancer survivor and if you want to be more you can, or not! Yes, I think the fake journal month will give you some time to come to grips with your new routine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails