On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Gray skies and drizzle

I'm just loving the parrot photos my son is emailing from Honolulu.  The next time we visit I'm going to ask him to take me to their site so I can check them out for myself.

Today was an off day and I'm not sure why.  I had the third Neupogen injection for this cycle so I've done that.  There were four medical appointments this week which seems like a lot to me.  Next week there is only one....

I asked the oncology pharmacist if I could do the injections at home.  I explained that our Youngest Daughter is a Type I diabetic and we've had lots of experience with injections.  His answer was interesting.  Yes, totally doable, but because the government would count it as a prescription - and Neupogen is quite expensive - it might drop me into the dreaded "donut hole" and cost a small fortune.  If I drive to our HMO and have a nurse give me the medication there is no charge or co-pay.  I backed off quickly.  "Most people see it my way," he said.

I couldn't get myself together today, I just had no energy whatsoever.  I finally opted for another cup of coffee which helped for a couple hours but then I was flagging again and whining about how much my joints ache.  I'm not typically given to despair, but I was really down at the mouth today and couldn't quite shake it.

The one good thing was that since I was lying around a lot I got to read most of the day and finished one truly riveting novel that has been sitting on my shelves since 1990.  Homework, by Margot Livesey, takes place in Scotland (Edinburgh) and is a psychological thriller that kept me turning pages to see how - and if - it all resolved.  I think of Scotland as one of the most beautiful countries on earth and I enjoyed our time in Edinburgh a few years back.  I was using Google Maps to track some of the addresses and street names.  The book is well written and features a ten-year old girl who is, let's say, different.  The ending is ambiguous so I'll let you decide how it all turned out.

1 comment:

  1. Well it's a couple of days later so I hope you are feeling better now. Maybe that was your low point and things will look up now. I hope!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails