On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

What's that?

Steve and I were out with friends last night.  I hadn't seen these folks for at least six months so it was such a welcome time to be together.  We saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and enjoyed a light dinner afterwards.  It was nippy walking across the Plaza - especially when you are bald under your hat - but really great to be out and about.

Today was such a warmish gorgeous day with no rain expected for up to two weeks (although you know I would always welcome rain).  Steve was away for hours so I was on my own - me and my dogs and my books!

I read until my eyes blurred and then I walked a mile - actually half a mile each way - to a grocery deli department because I was too lazy to cook and the sun was just too inviting.  Besides, I was craving comfort food - flan, bring on the flan, fried chicken, a sinful pleasure in itself and mashed potatoes, the one food all chemotherapy patients need to know about.

On the way home I snagged this stem from a bush by a field.  Naturalist and art journalist Hannah Hinchman advises walking every day and always bringing home something to draw.  I often follow her advice - at least the bring-something-home part - but today I had no idea what I captured.  It's a fairly accurate drawing as to what was in my hand, but I've never seen it before and can't identify it.  It's from a bush, that's the only hint I can give you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wow! I have no idea what that plant is, but it so captured my attention. I LOVE it. I am a bit jealous of your drawing ability. You also brought back a memory. When I was young, my Dad would have us also bring back things from nature and draw them. I have no talent, but my Sister (Has a degree in painting now from Bard College, go figure) would render out the most amazing things. I think the exercise taught me to look closer at many things and note details, but sadly nothing so beautiful came out of it. I think this because it resembles fireworks in my mind!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails