On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Murphy's law... to the nth degree


If yesterday was an example of Murphy's law, ten years ago today took it to the extreme.  On January 4th, 2002 I received the diagnosis of Stage 4 breast cancer.  I knew it was hard to walk, but I didn't know that my pelvis had fractures from the many lytic lesions collapsing in on themselves, i.e. pathologic fractures because of the many metastases.  I soon learned that bones throughout my body were affected and that there were too many lesions to count on my liver.  No one really expected me to see the end of 2002, given my status at the beginning.

I had hoped to still be stable, no progression at this time of 2012.  But just to be alive is enough for now.  There wasn't a soul on the planet who held that hope, not one person.  It was just totally "impossible" and yet, here I am!

1 comment:

  1. "You've come a long way baby" as the ad used to say. I've been trying to catch up a little on your posts. I hope your tylenol keeps doing the trick. I've been catching colds and my immune system is pretty good. It seems to be a bad year for catching stuff perhaps because its such a mild winter so you take extra care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails