On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Community loss

The dogs were very hungry by 4:45 this morning so I got up to feed them.  I was awake myself, it wasn't a problem.  I poured a cup a coffee and, under cover of darkness, fetched the morning newspaper.  (Why I fetched when I have three labrador retrievers whose very DNA begs to fetch, I don't know.)

The headlines broke my heart.  The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, a fine newspaper owned by the New York Times, is being sold.  The Times is off-loading 14 newspapers, it seems, and the P-D is one.  We dropped our subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle when it became third-rate, but have been immensely pleased with the P-D.  The world news coverage is better, obviously because of the direct feeds from the Times.

Steve woke up.  "You'll never guess what the headlines are."

"What's happened now?"

"The New York Times is selling the Press Democrat."

"Oh, no!"  And Drama King began flipping out exactly as I had a couple hours earlier.

It won't be long before print newspapers are no more, another concern because I won't know how to drink my morning coffee without one, but right now we still have a very fine one.... for a few more days.

2 comments:

  1. This is sad news... the whole world seems to be going out of print. Soon, everything will be on-line. Sad indeed. I hope you are feeling well.
    Merry Christmas.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly - I'm feeling great! Thank you for commenting. I admit, I own a Kindle and have given several as gifts so I'm part of the problem. Still, my morning newspaper.....!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails