On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

TLC

Cancer brings with it a poignancy that regular life misses.  It's true, any of us could get hit by a truck on any day, but those of us actively battling cancer are running across the freeway during rush hour with our fingers crossed that we'll make it to the other side.  And with that mindset we no longer take anything for granted and the little things take on great meaning.

I was watching Demi and Brix asleep on our bed this evening.  They were almost spooning, Brix behind Demi with his arm protectively over her back.  I used to think dogs were dogs and didn't have any experience until I was almost 60.  That's when I learned that each dog has an individual personality - like macho top-dog Brix with his underbelly of softness to Demi's petite form but independent spirit.  They are very different.  And that doesn't even count Parisse, who is so different she's off the charts in an autistic world of her own.  (Is there such a thing as canine autism?  Yes!)


So I look at my dogs tenderly sleeping together and wonder which of us will outlive whom and know I'll be morose no matter how it happens.

Every moment matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails