On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, May 06, 2011

Airing cultural differences

Allergy medication for Youngest Daughter
It's allergy season here with high pollen counts, un-mowed fields and blossoms everywhere. It's lovely to see with all the greens and colors, but nearly deathly (or at least it sometimes feels like it) for those prone to seasonal allergies.

In spite of that, a new screen door is being installed as I speak. There are almost no such doors in northern California - only one other on our block - partly because of air conditioning, but historically a cultural difference because we have so few bugs. Before there were safety issues it was customary to simply open the front door. Now I worry about who might walk in - and if the dogs would walk out (Brix would) - so security screen doors (with extra bars and a lock) are necessary, not because of the bugs but because of the humans! Still and all, the air blowing through is, well, it's a breath of fresh air, greater than opening a window (we have window screens). Another way of saying it, You can take the girl out of the midwest, but you can't take the midwest out of the girl. I grew up in Illinois, a state with a screen door on every home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails