On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Budget hits home

When we got to our watercolor class this afternoon we learned that the class will be stricken from the budget at the end of the semester. I was really disappointed and it cast something of a pall over the session. California is in financial difficulties and it's affecting us all.

We've been extraordinarily fortunate to have a free class offered through the local community college to senior citizens at a senior center. And it's easy to understand that, in a time of hardship, when the choice is between funding freshman who need classes to get a basic education and senior citizens for whom the class is primarily enrichment, the kids will come first.

There is a possibility that the class will be picked up by the center itself and a nominal fee will be charged - in which case life will pretty much go on as usual. That decision will be made soon.

Bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails