On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Nine years and counting

Today was especially important to me.  Nine years ago today I learned that I had Stage 4 breast cancer and that the prognosis was poor.  Further testing all during that week brought in bleaker and more ominous results. I honestly believed I'd just lived through my last Christmas and had failed to treasure the day.

And here I am today. Last week's bone scan confirmed what the laboratory testing had been saying, that I'm still in remission and have been since the cancer was brought under control (not cured) 8-1/2 years ago after one failed treatment followed by one with stellar success.

By coincidence, today I was back in the infusion suite for my every-three-weeks dose of Herceptin.  Demi, as usual, was on a blanket at my feet.  I also met with my oncologist and reminded him of the date. He said he was glad to see me now, nine years later, and I clearly understood exactly what he meant.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations Barbara! Yipee - God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fortunate - and blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to be an inspiration to many others - bless you. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Barbara: you deserve the best!
    Cheer up!

    AnA
    http://artealmaana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Barbara! What a great milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU are such a bright light and story that inspires me. Happy new year! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much. It meant so much to me to reach this 9th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are here too! You have helped to brighten my days and I know you do for so many others as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails