On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, November 12, 2010

What I did today

Recently my beloved invited me on a date to the Legion of Honor museum to see the Japanese print exhibit. Today was our day. After seeing as many of the European paintings as we could take in without overwhelm we saw this special exhibit.

We attended the post-Impressionist exhibit at the de Young Museum last month; these were the Japanese prints that were influential to the Europeans. So now I have a more complete understanding and, most importantly to me, I got to see Hokusai's Cresting Wave. When I took a printmaking course a few years ago I struggled (mostly unsuccessfully) to accurately register two colors, but the Japanese printmakers were working with something like 14 or 16 colors, each of which had to register exactly on top of the layers that came before. I'm in awe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails