On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Seven more things

I'm glad to be home and up to not much. Today I attended one church service, taught one class, facilitated two groups, went to the Post Office, attended a BBQ and chased chickens.

Let me tell you about those chickens. I was the first one home this evening and was leisurely finishing Steve's crossword puzzle. That's how we do it here -- he starts it, rarely finishes, and brings it to me for completion. He knows more words, I have a more plastic thought process.

I digress. I was quietly working on the puzzle when Brix and Demi suddenly bolted toward the family room and I heard a squawk. No one inside the house typically squawks so that caught my attention. I ran outside and saw Rafaela wandering outside of the chicken run looking confused and obviously trying to get back in. I tossed her over the fence.

But where were the other five? Oh, no, did they get eaten by dogs or something else? Are they in that back empty field? No, they had run 50 feet across the deck and were in their baby coop. There were feathers in our house.

Putting it all together, I think I know what might have happened. (Here I'm using that deductive reasoning I was writing about a couple days ago.) I suspect their feeder wasn't dispersing the feed correctly and they got hungry and went in search of food. They ravished the bean patch, couldn't get back home so they wandered back toward their original pen. Along the way they passed the open back door and someone walked in. That's when the dogs went on full alert and ran to protect their indoor territory. Terrified of the dog pack the chickens hustled into their old pen.

The scene that followed would have made good YouTube material but fortunately no one was around. The dogs didn't seem to want to eat the chickens, they just knew the scene was askew. I was the one flying around trying to corral chickens but the buttons on my shirt sleeves kept getting caught in the protective netting. So I was hung up, the chickens were still loose and the dogs were laughing their fool heads off.

That's as much as I'm going to own up to. Let's just say that everyone eventually made it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails