On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rocket's first art show

The Santa Rosa (California) Senior Art Show opened today. "Rocket's First Portrait" -- my chicken drawing -- is being shown publicly for the first time.

I'm pleased with that one, but frustrated that I don't yet have any control over what I draw. Most things don't turn out and, when something does, I'm shocked by the surprise of it all and don't know how to repeat whatever went right.

The show was well attended today with a full parking lot, crowds of art students and teachers, demonstrations of woodcarving, watercolor painting and Native American (I think Pomo) basket weaving. How fun!

3 comments:

  1. I feel lucky to have my own copy of Rocket's First Portrait! Thank you very much for sending the notecard, Barbara. I'm really glad that we've managed to meet online. Enjoy your soon-to-be windfall of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and of course, congratulations on having the portrait in the art show!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you are in a show. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to ever do that even if asked. I drew one of my coffee cups on a paper outside of my journal just in case it didn't turn out because it was more complicated than I usually draw. I don't always have my pictures turn out either! I really like this picture of yours too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails