On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Another thoughtful read

Every now and again I surprise myself by what I volunteer to do. A book group at a church I attend frequently was disbanded by lack of leadership. "I'll facilitate!" I offered.

I chose this book out of sheer self-serving interest -- I wanted a group of folks to read it and discuss it with me. We will be meeting for 17 weeks - a chapter a week plus today's introductory session. I've already read THE WISDOM JESUS, by Cynthia Bourgeault, I've read and reread most of it, in fact. As a sometimes marginalized churchgoer, I find this sort of book study just the kind that will wrap me more soundly into the fold. And now I have an enthusiastic group -- there were 12 today with a couple absent -- so I know my interest in the book, and in the participants will be sustained for several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails