On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, July 05, 2010

Run's done!

I promised the chickens full independence by July 4th but I missed it by one day. Today, however, I built their new run so they're spending the night in the larger big-girl coop.

After I was done, Steve came along and sunk in the heavier poles that I couldn't manage, so we were able to complete the entire projects in short order. The girls celebrated by shredding blackberry bushes that encroached onto their new territory. My plan is to plant vines around their pen -- jasmine, potato vines, morning glories and anything else I can think of -- to both cover the chicken wire and offer additional entertainment to the chickens who love to pull apart plants like that.

Now we wait for the pullets to mature a bit until they can lay eggs. I'm guessing October....

Here's the math problem: If six hens each lay one egg each day.... how many omelets will our family eat each week? I'm hoping to give away lots and lots of eggs to my friends since 42 eggs a week is a few too many for our family, currently that's three of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails