On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, July 08, 2010

New digs

The pullets seem happy with their new home. There is much more space indoors and a quiet, shady spot underneath. They spend their days clustered under the bay tree behind their coop and venture out in early evening.

Chickens are much quieter than I expected, something I was a bit concerned about. There are no roosters, which would be against the local ordinance, but I thought the hens would discuss their lives more than they do. I'm hoping their silence means they are content with their lot and are simply pondering all the eggs they intend to produce this fall.

I have given the two Plymouth Rocks their permanent names. Rocket has the highest pecking order. She is the first to ascend the ramp each evening and the first out in the morning. She also likes arugula, sometimes called rocket. Her sister is Rebella. (When I told Steve he thought I had named her Rubella, as in measles!) No, Rebella is a personality name. Unlike Rocket, Rebella is the last one to go to bed, the one who hides, wants to stay out and play, won't listen to rhyme or reason. Rocket and Rebella, the smartest and the, uh, not so smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails