On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

First day out

Today was the first day of summer in northern California. After weeks of chilly, rainy weather, the temperature rose 12 degrees over yesterday, putting us in the low '80s.

I celebrated by carrying the chicks outdoors to investigate their baby coop. They were obviously befuddled at first, but soon settled into their new digs.

I hovered over them - this is my first flock - and, sure enough, one escaped the coop by crawling under.

Try again. I blocked off the escape hatch and put her back in (after she walked right through the secondary line of defense, the dog fence.

Life improved after that and the chicks played happily for almost the entire day. I saw one even catch her first gnat!

While they were busy on their play date, I scurried around indoors and completely sanitized their indoor "brooder," -- our bathtub -- where they are ensconced right now and bedded down for the evening.

I'm hoping that they will have full independence and 24-hour housing in their larger, big girl coop, by July 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails