On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Time well spent

I've been slower to blog the last few days because I've been obsessed with my new park monitoring venture. Maxwell Park is twice as large as I stated before, it's 85 acres. That's still not huge but it has enough trails and pathways to keep me busy. I've been there six times this week - every day and twice yesterday.

I'm learning to look up as well as down; very high, shielding my eyes against the sun, and very low so I have to scrunch down. It's the difference between noticing the crow in the branches and the caterpillar making its way across the path.

When I return home each day I write my trail report. I include text -- of trail conditions, any fallen limbs or other hazards -- and I include photos and field drawings. I also pick up litter along the way, not part of my official duties, but why not?

The park staff is constantly attempting to clean up the gang graffiti because it perpetuates if ignored. There are two opposing gangs nearby and they often hang out in the far regions of the park and claim turf. It's annoying to me because I love the park when it's as close to being in its natural state as possible, so potential violence doesn't work for me.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful new project! I love your drawings and your descriptions of what you're up to! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eightyfive acres makes more sense! Glad you are having fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:39 AM

    i very enjoy your own writing kind, very charming,
    don't quit and also keep posting due to the fact that it just simply very well worth to look through it.
    impatient to view much more of your own content, good bye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Congratulations to you for volunteering for this! It sounds like a very enjoyable project. I think people who draw tend to be more observant of their surroundings, and with doggies to walk, you are the perfect person for this adventure!! Great sketches and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that the gangs would ruin such a wonderful area! Tagging just makes me so, so angry!!

    I love the notes you're taking about the park. It reminds me a little of Lewis & Clark.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails