On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Still draws in church

We were in two different parishes for the last two Sundays and I was drawing in both of them. Last week Steve was the celebrant in Holy Trinity Church, Ukiah, California. Youngest Daughter and I accompanied him and we brought TWO dogs, Demi and Cassidy, and left two others at home.

Demi is a retired service dog who has been in church since she was eight weeks old so she knows how to behave. Cassidy is in training to become a service dog so she needs the practice. Demi slept, Cassidy fidgeted. I drew the lector as she read the lessons.



On the way home we stopped at a little restaurant in Cloverdale. It used to be on the highway, but when the freeway came through it lost a lot in location, location, location. But we still remember The Owl Cafe, so we stopped for lunch with both dogs asleep under the table. By then it was feeling like an old-fashioned road trip, my favorite kind of vacation. Ukiah is about 80 miles from home and Cloverdale is a bit closer.

This morning Steve and I were both in the pew together, at St. Mary's Church in Napa, California and only brought Cassidy. She is gradually understanding that Down/Stay means Down/Stay and was well behaved, although bored with the inactivity. I drew her and a friend sitting a couple rows in front of me. I didn't think we would ever break away from the coffee hour because there were so many conversations about Cassidy and her training. The children all wanted to play with her and the older parishioners told me about their dogs. Traveling with a dog is a great conversation starter, I can guarantee that!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed seeing and reading about your weekend. I'm so impressed that you are involved with training service dogs. Good for you! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:32 AM

    Wonderful sketches! I don't know how you got behind either because I think your blog is one of the most prolific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 AM

    demibrix.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails