On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Snowbound? Here's a good read.....

One of my latest curl-up-and-reads has been this one, THE HELP, by Kathryn Stockett. My daughter ordered it from AMAZON.COM and then graciously shared it with me.
What is it like to grow up in Mississippi in the 1960's, be raised by an African-American maid who loves, adores and cherishes you, and then grow up to hire a maid of your own? How welcome is the maid, really, in your 1960s home? Can she drink out of your glasses and eat off your plates? How much do you pay her? How do you speak of her when you think she isn't listening? In 2010, how much have you changed?

The story is told through the words of three women -- two maids and one white adult who inquires into their experiences. I grew up in 1950's southern Illinois -- closer to Mississippi than Chicago -- so I have some memory of my white experience. Lillian, a college student, was my black babysitter. When I woke up in the morning all of the toys in my sister's playpen were neatly arranged for a new day, something our mother never took time to do. How kind was that? Now, after reading THE HELP, I understand even more.

Click through to purchase your own copy! - Barbara

1 comment:

  1. My sister read it and told me I should read it. I guess I'd better go put it on my wish list at Amazon. Everyone seems to be liking this book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails